Member Programs Associate Opening
The American Horticultural Society (AHS), a national 501(c)3 nonprofit membership organization located in Alexandria, Virginia, is seeking a full-time Member Programs Associate.
Headquartered on a historic 25-acre property on the Potomac River, the AHS has more than 20,000 members across the country and around the world. Members receive a variety of benefits (including The American Gardener magazine, a reciprocal garden admissions program, an annual seed exchange, exclusive online resources and more) as well as help support the Society’s vision of “making America a nation of gardeners, a land of gardens.”
The role of the Member Programs Associate is to support the day-to-day aspects of the organization’s efforts to deliver member programs, services, and outreach while achieving annual operating goals. The Member Programs Associate will work closely with the Associate Director of Membership and Member Programs as well as other key staff members. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Taking a primary role in the development, preparations, benchmarking/schedule tracking, and production of ongoing member programs such as the Society’s Awards Programs, Reciprocal Admissions Program, and National Children & Youth Garden Symposium.
• Creating and coordinating marketing material, online and printed registration forms, and website and email content for member programs and member cultivation initiatives.
• Serving as the primary contact for the Society’s member programs which includes answering member inquiries and processing program registrations and RSVP’s.
• Generate updates and activity reports as needed for program management as well as committee and board meetings
• Support development of related budgets and monitor performance to budget for member programs.
• Provide general support to the membership department which can include assisting with the AHS’s Horticultural Partnerships program and other member acquisition and cultivation efforts, specialized communication to members, fulfillment of member benefits, production of marketing materials, and setting and meeting program goals.
• Playing a supporting role in event logistics while working as part of a larger team to produce events such as the Society’s Annual Gala, Spring Garden Market, and Holiday Reception.
Additional tasks may include assisting with special projects and grants, along with development or membership activities or serving as a back up for other programs of the Society.
Requirements include: excellent writing, speaking, interpersonal, and organizational skills; demonstrated ability to work independently, set priorities, and manage concurrent tasks with meticulous attention to detail; strong sense of customer service; proficiency with PC applications such as Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint; and prior experience or willingness to become proficient with Blackbaud software, including The Raiser’s Edge database and NetCommunity Spark. HTML, CSS, and/or knowledge of K-12 education standards a strong plus, as is experience with or an interest in gardening. Some evening and weekend work will be necessary, along with occasional travel.
Salary is based on experience and qualifications. The AHS offers benefits such as health and dental insurance, vacation and sick time, and a 403(b) plan with employer contributions.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
The American Horticultural Society
7931 East Boulevard Drive
Alexandria, VA 22308
Position posted August 3, 2017, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will be open until filled.